Pat Baker - REALTY EXECUTIVES Boston West



Posted by Pat Baker on 6/16/2017

Chemicals, metals and other household products in your home could be making you sick. Harmful products and chemicals at your house could also be creating illness symptoms in your children, pets and house guests. Keep reading to learn about some common ways that your house could be making you sick.

Overlooked and common household dangers

Lead paint can cause you to feel nauseous, constipated and sick to your stomach. Check the amount of lead in paint before you start decorating. If you exhibit symptoms,check the amount of lead in the existing paint at your house.

High mercury levels - Too much mercury in your home can cause metal poisoning. Symptoms of metal poisoning vary from person to person, but can include numbness, difficulty walking or standing, muscle weakness and poor vision. Mercury poisoning can also cause memory and cognitive thinking impairment.

You can become over exposed to mercury by eating certain types of fish. Mercury overexposure can also be derived from chemicals that you keep in your home. The Environmental Protection Agency shares that you can come in contact with mercury several ways, including by breathing in the metal. You can also ingest mercury into your system by touching products that have mercury in them and by eating foods that contain mercury. Batteries, thermometers, certain light bulbs, some vaccines, skin creams and jewelry are types of products that contain mercury.

Allergens – Pet hairs are a major cause of allergens. If you or someone in your family coughs, wheezes or sneezes every time they are around your dog or cat, visit the doctor and have test run to see if you or your family member is allergic to your pet.

Are any of these dangers at your house?

  • Poor ventilation
  • Dust mites
  • Asbestos
  • Carbon monoxide generally becomes dangerous for humans after carbon monoxide reaches levels of 100 ppm or higher.
  • Mold
  • Leaking roof
  • Pests
  • Old food

Take quick action if someone becomes ill at your house

Contact your physician immediately should you suspect that you, a family member or guest at your home has become ill due to coming into contact with a chemical or product in your house. Avoid assuming that just because you have never become ill in your home that means that no one else could be allergic or become ill to a product or chemical in your house.

For example, you might not be allergic to peanuts. However, a colleague or friend who visits your house could become dangerously ill if he is exposed to peanut butter or another peanut food product that you store or prepare a meal with at your house.

Share as many details as possible with physicians and nurses at the hospital or urgent clinic that you visit. Tell them when the person started to show signs of illness. Also, tell the medical professional or emergency technician what you ate. If you live near a landfill, share this information with medical professionals as well. The more details that you share with medical staff, the sooner the staff can narrow what may have caused the symptoms. Information that you share can also make it easier for medical staff to start treating you or another person who becomes ill at your home.







Tags